Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Will Facebook be as friendless as Zuckerberg in The Social Network?

So, clearly, I am obsessed with Facebook.  Not obsessed like I have withdrawal symptoms if I don't post my status every hour, but obsessed in that I love reading about the way Facebook is (or is not) disrupting business as usual on the Internet.  This article, Facebook's Growing Web of Frenemies by Geoffrey A. Fowler from the Wall Street Journal, talks about Facebook's relationships with other IT companies.  Some companies must decide whether to continue to compete with Facebook or join forces.  Facebook is taking ad revenue away from some companies, even companies using traditional forms of advertising.  It's that powerful.  For example, Yahoo has integrated Facebook features into its sites instead of directly competing with the company.

Like I mentioned in a previous post, Facebook is trying to do more.  I did mock its preliminary ideas about email and messaging services, yes.  But it's going bigger!  Facebook is creating a platform, which will put it in direct competition with other major IT companies.  I don't know how this will all pan out, but should we be afraid of the Fb taking over the world?

No comments:

Post a Comment